Saturday, April 21, 2012

O is for Of Monsters and Men

Whew! Finally half way through the alphabet!

I'm always trolling for new music, especially when I'm on a running kick because sometimes the thing that makes me run the extra mile is an awesome song.

By accident, I discovered an Icelandic band that is apparently becoming quite popular here in the States with their song, " Little Talks." (I'm always a little late to the party because I'm particular about music, so I rarely just listen to the radio.)

I'm also an on-again-off-again Cracked.com reader and I just read the article, Six Popular Upbeat Songs You Didn't Realize Are Depressing. "Little Talks" totally falls into that category.



This live version is slightly different from the iTunes version -there's a great trumpet solo. Anyway, I bought the song because it was so upbeat and has an alternative flare. Then I started listening to the lyrics and it's actually pretty depressing.

I'm not sure of the actual meaning behind this song, but my interpretation is that the girl is slipping into some sort of mental illness or addiction and the guy is talking her through it. Having watched people I care about self destruct through mental illness and addiction, maybe my interpretation is biased.

Regardless, I am in love with this song. Check it out. I'm off to check more of their work and maybe after I take a nap, I will do my race recap for the Pat Tillman Run which was held this morning in Tempe, AZ. It was HOT.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!