Monday, April 16, 2012

Firefly Run Phoenix 5K

FireFly Run

Saturday night, several friends and I met down at the Arizona State capitol for the Phoenix Firefly Run. I carpooled with my friend, Tabatha, and we ended up arriving super early. We had time to entirely outfit ourselves with blinking lights, glow-in-the-dark star stickers and glow bracelets and necklaces in the parking lot while waiting for our other friends to arrive.

Once everyone was there, we still had enough time to wander around and take a few pictures of the statues and the capitol building. I don't think I've been down to the state capitol since elementary school, which is kinda sad...

AZ capitol
For all of you history nerds out there, the USS Arizona is the ship that was sunk by Japan in World War II. The wreckage still resides in Pearl Harbor, HI, but the anchor was sent back to Arizona.

Anchor from the USS Arizona
As it started getting darker, the race was getting ready to start. We made one last trip to the porta potty area and got some guy to take our picture.


Tabatha, me, Sarah - my work buddies


Tabatha, Layla, Sarah, me and T
We made our way to the start line and then we were off! In the race packet, we each got reflective arm bands with flashing lights. During the run, I have never seen so many red blinking lights in one place. It got old pretty fast.

I started off pretty slowly, since I have hardly run since the Phoenix Half Marathon on March 3rd and I was certainly feeling it. My time wasn't terrible and I've done worse, but I struggled. My legs felt like lead and my lungs hurt because I started to pick up speed after at about mile 2.

I'm much better at long distances because my slow first miles mean negative splits later. The problem is that for a 3 mile race, you can't really waste that first mile. I guess that's why some people jog before the race starts so they can be at racing pace by the start. Overall, though, it was a fun race.

T and me at the end...I really need a new phone with a better camera.
Afterward, we went for dinner and drinks in historic downtown Phoenix. On the way to the Rose and Crown Pub, we passed by the Rosson House. I remember going on a field trip here in elementary school.

Rosson House

The Rose and Crown is an awesome English pub style restaurant in an old house downtown. The food was really good.

Rose & Crown
                                                                                   (source)
I tried the Kung Fu Girl Riesling. It was so good. Plus, with a name like Kung Fu Girl, I had to try it. I need to find this wine somewhere.

Try it...it's yummy!























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!