Tuesday, April 10, 2012

G is for Gluten and Grains


G is for Gluten and Grains

I've been (mostly) gluten free for about 6 months. I discovered I had a gluten intolerance by accident.

In the fall of 2010, I went gluten free for a few months as sort of a weight loss/get healthy kind of thing. I had spent the summer training for my first half marathon and suffered from bouts of heart burn but at the time, I chalked it up to the extreme AZ summer heat and the amount of Clif Shot Blocks I was snarfing while running. I didn't really put it together that I went gluten free after that summer to lose weight.


Falsely accused!
As the weather cooled, my heart burn faded, only to return with a vengeance in the spring. My gluten free diet had faded after the first of the year, but my symptoms came back so gradually, I didn't make the connection. By the spring of 2011, I was living on Prilosec and had to take Tums just to be able to run a few miles. I tried giving up coffee, Coke, tomatoes, etc., etc., etc. It finally dawned on me that the reason I had felt better in the fall was because I had given up gluten.

Trust me, I was in denial. The symptoms would come on so gradually, that I wasn't quite convinced I had a gluten intolerance. In July, I had gone to NYC on vacation for a week after eating gluten free for a few months and by the time I had spent a week eating all sorts of gluten-filled deliciousness in NYC, the symptoms slowly came back.

By August, my heartburn was out of control and I was starting to have horrible stomach cramps randomly. I hit bottom in the middle of the Disneyland Half Marathon 2011 when I got incredibly sick in front of hundreds of my closest friends!

The next day, even though I was still on vacation, I tried to limit my gluten intake (which is HARD at Disneyland with all of the churros everywhere!).


oh, how I miss you! (source)

I felt better within 24 hours. A week later, I went completely gluten free. Now, I'm not one to preach. Giving up gluten is a personal choice and hey, if you can eat it and not have problems, then enjoy some pasta for me! It took me awhile to finally stick with it and I haven't had any heartburn since last summer.

And yes, my BFF coffee, and I don't have to end our lifelong romance.

(source)

I read this article awhile ago and just reread it today. Try to ignore the horrible title, but it makes a lot of sense. Besides being gluten free, I think I'm going to try to be completely grain free. I've mentioned going grain free before, but I love me some carbs so I have a hard time giving them up. Sniffle, sniffle.

Carbs! Rooooar! (source)

I'm going to attempt to give up grains for the rest of April. Wish me luck, cuz I'm gonna need it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!