Thursday, May 31, 2012

How I know I'm getting old...

So I have mentioned a couple of times how much I love Of Monsters and Men.

Not taken with my camera...because my cell camera is crap. (source)
My friend, Sarah, was in town this weekend and we have shared tons of music in the last couple of years. She's introduced me to several bands that I love, such as Mumford and Sons before they were mainstream. Since we have similar taste in music, she asked if I had heard of Of Monsters And Men, which of course I had, and I burned some of their stuff for her. She mentioned that they were going to be at Marquee Theatre last night. I decided I was going...and that Tara was going with me.

The show started at 7. Warning sign #1 that you are getting old: you think that a show starting at 7 will be over around 9, which is plenty of time to go home and be in bed so you can get up for work. And in my case, I actually get up and ride my horse before that.

Marquee Theater is general admission, so except for the stage, the place looks like a small dark warehouse, which is cool, but there's no actually seating. So Tara and I are sitting around on the cement floor drinking cherry Stoli and soda, and noticing that the average age of everyone else is 19. Warning sign number 2 that you are getting old: you no longer understand how "kids dress these days", Or as Tara calls it. "hobo chic".

Sign #3 that you are getting old: you actually expect the show to start at 7 because that's what the ticket says. Silly. Young whipper snappers do not need to be in bed at a reasonable time! They are now on summer break. So, the opening act came on after 8:30, maybe even pushing 9. I was ready to go to sleep.

Sign #4 that you are getting old: you forget how loud amplifiers are. My first thought was that I should have brought ear plugs. Now I did see some young people wearing ear plugs, so there. Maybe I'm not granny aged, yet.

(source)
FINALLY, Of Monsters and Men took the stage. And it was well worth the wait and self torture regarding my age. They. Were. Awesome.

I loved every minute of their performance. I have to say that all of the amps tend to distort the sound and since I do have some back ground in music, it does bug me a little because I really like how the music and singing compliment each other. But that's not a getting old thing. That's a music snob thing.

We had a lot of fun and I'm so glad we went, despite how sleepy I was at worl all day. I didn't end up getting myself a shirt, even though I said I would. Boo.

Can you blame me? Would you wear this? (source)
I'm off to San Diego tomorrow for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. Or in my case, the half marathon. I can't wait to get out of town. It's getting really hot here and it's only supposed to be in the high 60s this weekend in San Diego.

(source)

I will even be able to take decent pictures! I had a Target gift card, so I got myself a new toy.



Now I won't have to rely on my crappy cell camera anymore! The battery is charging right now. I'm off to finish my laundry and get in bed. I have a busy weekend ahead of me!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck this weekend! I hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!