Saturday, May 5, 2012

Derby Day...and movies.

Today is the 138th running of the Kentucky Derby. Now I'm not a huge horse racing fan despite the fact that a huge percentage of my clientele works Santa Anita, Hollywood Park, Los Alamitos and Del Mar. There are a lot of things that happen on the back side of the race track that I don't agree with. However, I try to tune in for the Derby, the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes - the three races that make up the Triple Crown of horse racing.

Kentucky Derby on Twitter: Picks and Mint Juleps
I think that the most exciting race I've ever watched was when Mine That Bird won the KY Derby in 2009. Today's winner was I'll Have Another who was in second until the very end, passing Bodemeister who had been in the lead from the first turn of the backstretch, in the last 100 yards. So the ending was cool, but meh. Not a very exciting race this year.

I’ll Have Another Kentucky Derby Betting Odds
                          He sure is cute, though!                     (source)

I also went shopping for new breeches today because we have a little mini clinic at our barn tomorrow and I needed a nicer pair of breeches than the pair that I am currently wearing.



I gave myself last night off from working out and went to go see The Five Year Engagement instead.


Slight Spoilers (and my own sad opinion) Below....

Emily Blunt: 'Five Year Engagement' Trailer & Poster!
It was cute and I liked it, but it also depressed me. It has a good ending, so don't worry about that, but they really struggle to find happiness. When we think of being in love, we always think of gooey, silly excitement but in reality, that part only lasts a little while. Then real life happens and I think this movie did a pretty good job of showing how even the nicest of people struggle in relationships.

I guess that's what I liked about this movie: the realness of it. Too often Hollywood tells love stories that are extremely dramatic such as war time romance, etc, but this movie is about a regular couple that tries to make each other happy, but neither of them are. I guess that might have been why I found it a little depressing.

The cast is really good and there's a lot of comedy, but like Bridesmaids, there's an underlying sadness about everything.

Maybe it's just me, but it's one thing when one part of the couple is a douchebag and things are rough, but it's another when both people are good people and they're still unhappy.


It must be love if our relationship has lasted longer than the life cycle of a first generation Apple product.
I'm probably not the best one to listen to, though, because I'm the only one I know that found the underlying theme of Bridesmaids to be sad. Everyone else thought it was hilarious.

Funny Miracle Whip Ecard: A good way to know if your opinion is wrong is if it's liked a lot on Facebook.
Okay, I've procrastinated enough. I need to take a nap so I can pound out six miles after the sun goes down...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!