I'm copying this from Victoria's blog entry:
"So what is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award nomination goes to those bloggers who have a following of less than 200 to promote other bloggers to comment and share - even get to know each other! I think this is great, because it gives you the potential to gather a larger following! If you get nominated, you cannot nominate the person who nominated you (No tagbacks!).
The point of the Liebster Award is to answer questions, tell 11 secrets about yourself, and nominate 11 other bloggers who fit the criteria. Here it goes!"
I think this is really cool because I have met some amazing people through blogging and I'm even running Ragnar del Sol Relay with a group of 12 amazing Arizona blogger ladies. I've also met up with a few of my favorite blogger girls at WDW Marathon weekend this year and I'm crazy excited to be reunited with them for Dumbo Double Dare over Labor Day Weekend. You can never have too many friends, right?
So here goes. My narcissist self loves stuff like this!
1. What was your favorite TV show growing up?
Okay, I don't want to seem like the biggest nerd ever, but my favorite show of all time was X-files. I was so in love with Mulder and Scully it was ridiculous. Now granted, that show came out in 1992, so I wasn't really a kid, but I was still in high school, so I figure that it counts.
2. What is it that you "get" out of blogging?
I started my blog to keep myself motivated when it came to running. When I trained for my first half marathon at Disneyland in 2010, I searched the web nonstop for blog entries and pictures. That opened up a whole world and community of runners (particularly those that love running at Disney. I know, I'm a RunDisNerd) and it motivated me to keep going out and training. I have also met some incredible people through blogging and that gets me even more excited to go to races, especially when there's a chance I might run into someone that writes a blog that I read!
3. What is your favorite book? Why?
When I was in college, I took a pre-law philosophy class and we read a book called, The Once And Future King by T.H. White. I absolutely loved that book. (Hmmm, it's been a few years...I should really read it again.) The reason I loved this book so much is that even though it tells the story of King Arthur from childhood through adulthood, the author sort of rewrites and reinterprets the traditional story. It's really good. Two thumbs up from me!
4. What made you decide to repost this and nominate others?
Like Victoria said in her post, there are so many blogs out there that don't get noticed. I love reading blogs and I get excited when I find a new one I like, so it's cool that we can all help each other find other bloggers! I'm often a lurker and I should comment more, so broadening my blogging circle is always a good thing! You never know what kind of awesome people you are going to meet if you don't reach out.
|Abby, Fruitfly and me - GOOFY CHALLENGE! |
(photo courtesy of Fruitfly)
5. What is your favorite memory?
Hmmm. This one is so hard because I've been lucky enough to have some really great memories that it's hard to pick just one. I have many exciting and proud moments from showing horses as a kid, but more recently, I think crossing the finish line of my first half marathon is one of my all time favorite memories. Of course, I just did Goofy Challenge a couple of weeks ago and I'm really proud of that, but finishing my first half was so huge for me. I was never into sports or anything in high school and when I started training, I could barely jog a block without walking. I really wasn't sure I could do it and crossing that finish line was such a magical and life altering experience that it's seared into my memory like it happened yesterday.
Another one happened by accident. A childhood friend and I went to Europe for two weeks and by pure luck found ourselves in Paris on Bastille Day. It wasn't planned, but watching an incredible fireworks display from the base of the Eiffel Tower while the entire city of Paris was out partying in the streets is an experience I will never forget. I get chills just thinking about it.
6. What do you do when nobody's watching?
I sing. Because I'm such a nerd, I don't tend to just belt out current popular favorites, I sing classical pieces and show tunes. I'm not great at it, either, so it's best done in private or in my car.
7. If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money, and why?
The correct answer, of course, is doing something good for mankind or animalkind, right? Good thing that's covered in the next question, so I can be totally selfish in this one!
Aside from being a do gooder, I would throw a lot of money towards horse showing. I would probably search out a few really fancy horses (keeping Lou, of course, because I could afford it!) and go to horse shows like crazy. I would travel all over Europe and Africa and do all of the Run Disney events every year!
8. If you could donate to any charity (any specific charity, or a general cause), what would it be?
If I won the lottery as promised in question 7 (What? We weren't promised that? Hrmph.) I think a lot of my time and money would go to some type of animal well fare group. I've even dreamed up my own animal rescue when I've thought of winning the lottery (and I dream about being rich a lot!)
I would also donate to Team Chances, a charity founded by my amazing running coach, Susan Loken, that put up with me as one of the slowest runners on our team while we trained for the NYC Marathon last year.
9. If you could do any job in the world, what would it be?
The obvious thing would be horse trainer, right? But strangely, despite my entire life being devoted to horses, I've never wanted to train professionally. When I was younger, I really wanted to join the FBI. I'll blame that on the X-files. I also had dreams of being a stage manager on Broadway when I first was in college. That would be really cool, too.
|Me and Tara circa 1998 - College Choir Trip|
10. What do you love most about yourself? List five reasons why.
I think that I'm pretty good at being accepting of others. I sort of abide by the rule "live and let live." If I like you, you would have to do something pretty terrible for me to stop. I believe that everyone has their own belief system and it's not my job to try and change it. I try hard not to judge people because you never know some one's story or how they got to be who they are. Above all, we're all human and we should try hard to show love and kindness whenever possible.
11. Chocolate or vanilla?
I love both!!! But typically, if I have to choose, it will probably be chocolate.
11 fun facts about me:
1. I can sing the entire choral movement from Beethoven's 9th Symphony in German from memory.
2. When I was 20, I seriously considered joining the Navy.
3. I was on time to work every single day in 2012 and that was a HUGE accomplishment for me.
4. I have wanted to go to Egypt since I was 8 years old.
5. I have always wanted to learn how to fence.
6. I really want a second tattoo, but I'm so indecisive that I can't decide what to get.
7. I love pretty much anything on the History Channel or Discovery Channel.
8. My favorite movies are The Princess Bride, Clueless and Spaceballs.
9. I'm not a fan of reality shows.
10. I love trivia and random facts.
11. I've had horses step on me, fall on me, flip over over me, and launch me and I still get on and ride. Sometimes I think that makes me badass. ;)
And now for 11 questions to those I've nominated:
1. If you could get on a plane and go anywhere, where would it be and why?
2. What is one major thing you would like to accomplish in your life time?
3. What was your favorite class in high school or college and why?
4. What is one thing that always makes you smile?
5. If you were going to try a new hobby, what would you try?
6. What is your favorite kind of music?
7. What is your favorite race and why? (I think everyone I'm nominating is a runner...)
8. If you could live anywhere for a year where would it be?
9. What made you start blogging? ( I stole that from Victoria, but it's a good question!)
10. If you could meet a famous person, past or present, who would it be?
11. What is something you have done that you are really proud of?
And at the risk of looking like a total stalker, here are some bloggers I read on a regular basis. Please don't think it's weird if we've never talked before...just know that I read your blog and that's why I've nominated you! :D
My 11 nominees are:
1. Tara at I, Phoenix, Running.
2. Abby at Abby's Road To Amazingness
3. Fruitfly at Little Fruitfly In Rainbow Colored Socks (she's close to 200, but not quite there!)
4. Melanie at The Melanie Report
5. Pam and Christine at We Run Disney (I don't actually know how many followers they have, but I like their blog!)
6. Heather at Go Girl Go
7. Can't You Run Faster Mom?
8. Ari at Ari's Menu (I can't see how many readers she has, but I love her, so I'm including her in this post!)
9. Jennifer at Red Hair and Running Shoes
10. Tink at The Running Paintbrush
11. V at Running to Disney
Of course, no one is obligated to participate, but I'm excited that Victoria thought to include me, so I'm sharing that with you!