Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Identity Crisis!

I'm having an identity crisis. Not in my "real life", mind you, but in the blogosphere.


When I trained for my first half marathon in 2010, I spent hours Google image searching running and half marathons. (Okay, I'll be honest: I was searching medals. Don't judge.)

Anyway, I stumbled across the wide world of blogging. Eventually, I started my own blog to post my own race recaps. (And all of my own bling.) The thing about running a bazillion races is that eventually, medals are not really that big of a motivator. I mean, I ain't turning 'em down, let's not get stupid, but I don't go searching the web for medal pics, anymore.

I've found that the blogs I really enjoy are funny and have pictures of the bloggers. People love to make fun of selfie pictures in gym bathrooms, but truth be told, I'm a total voyeur. And really, isn't that why people read blogs, anyway? To see what other people are doing? That's why I read them! The blogs I love the most have pictures of the bloggers!


Maybe I'm a narcissist and well as a voyeur. C'est la vie.

I stumbled across a site called GOMI. That's short for Get Off My Internets. It's basically a forum for people to trash bloggers. I can't link from my phone, but Google it. Look under forums and look at the healthy blogger threads. It will shock you.

A lot of the most popular running/healthy living bloggers have pages and pages of criticism, which sort of brings me to the point of this post.

Often, I think about branching out and really dedicating myself to making something of this blog. I could make it look more professional and do product reviews, etc. All of that seems like a lot of fun.



But then there's the other side of me that likes posting about completely random things like how not to go through a break up (See my previous post for that one) and pictures of my horse (see pretty much every post for that). That's what I enjoy writing about and I realize that not everyone wants to see how cute my pony is (what's wrong with you?!) but shouldn't I write about the things I like writing about?

Then there's GOMI. For all that I feel horrified by what's said on there, I agree with a lot of it. And I'm guilty of a lot of things that I see criticized. I'll admit, when I first read some of the threads, it bothered me enough that I didn't blog for a week. The price of blogger fame, I guess. Not that I'm winning any blogger popularity contests at the moment, but I've kept my blog pretty low key.


Anyway, that's what's on my mind today. I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go. I'd love to hear what you guys think about this stuff because I'm sure every blogger has had these same thoughts.

Help!!


5 comments:

  1. I'd rather read a blog of random stuff on someone's mind than one totally focused on one thing. The unifying theme in the blogs I read tends to be running, but I also like to read stuff like your breakup post, or whatever random things irk people now and again. It can be good for a laugh when someone writes a whole post about...whatever...a broken shopping cart wheel or spilling a drink on their (first) date.


    The problem with the internet is that it gives people a way to snark from behind a screen. Today I was reading tons of nasty stuff about Angelina Jolie - not just blogs, mostly on Facebook and comments on news stories about her. Another day it'll be attacks on someone else. I woudn't let the criticism bother you. If someone is criticizing, it means they're reading, right? Just write about what you feel like writing about and screw the nasties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 you! Thanks for your opinion. When I really think about it, the blogs I love the best entertain me. I don't care if it has a lame layout or is totally random.

    You can have the prettiest blog out there, but if it's boring, I'm not going to read it. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be you, James. We all like you! and personally, I'd like to hear more about your awesomely random life- I need to live vicariously through someone and you seem fun!

    Don't let GOMI get to you. I know it's hard, though. I'll be sure to block that site from all of your technology when you get to be a famous blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Abby! In all honesty, I don't think I can stop the random flow of stuff, anyway, so I'm glad you enjoy it!

      If I see horrible stuff on GOMI, I'm going to think about how you were going to THROW DOWN for me if I didn't get my Goofy medal and how we can plot revenge on the evil doers at races. Ha!

      Delete
    2. See?! You know I got your back! Don't you worry about that.

      Delete

Thanks for reading!