Friday, September 19, 2014

Whoa, A Post Where I Don't Whine

So, Wednesday night (I actually wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it), the alien billy goat, a.k.a. Lara, and I did an actual speed and tempo run. We stayed off the trail because Lara's billy goat abilities failed her last week and she fell on the mountain and fractured her arm.

I took the rainbow as a sign my run would be magical.

 

Never fear, though, Lara is running just fine and also is riding her horse. And as much as I want to sometimes murder her on our long runs when she says things like, "'we're almost done" when we still have like 5 miles to go, I know I'd never get long runs in without her.

Magical.

 

Anyway, we did 5 miles and I really pushed myself. The first mile was slow to warm up and the next mile we picked it up a bit. On the third mile we picked it up even more and on the fourth mile we did intervals between light posts. We took a walk break for about a quarter mile and then really pushed the rest of the last mile.

Had to stop for this picture, of course.

 

You know what? I actually felt good. It has been so long since I had a run where I actually got a runner's high that I'd forgotten how good it can feel. Consistency actually does pay off, my friends. Who knew?

Plus, the scenery was amazing even if the humidity was ridiculous. I said I wasn't going to complain, so I'll let my weather app do that for me.

Also humid. Don't forget that!

 

8 comments:

  1. Such beautiful scenery. Sorry bout Lara's injury but she sounds like one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's super tough! She only took a few days off before she was off running again!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the runs being a slog and then suddenly a great one comes in. I haven't had one of those in a while. Your weather app is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just so inconsistent that I'm always sort of "starting over". I guess I should stop running that way!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had such a great run. I am nervous about my 18 miler tomorrow but I will have my buddy Christie by my side and she will help me get it done. And for the first 12 or so we have a posse of about 8 girls so that should make the time go quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A group of 8?! Are they all as speedy as you are? I'm sure your 18 miler was great!

      Delete
  4. Rainbow!!! Glad you had such a good run - it's nice when that happens, especially after a slew of rough ones. I love your weather app!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery was just gorgeous! That always helps.

      Delete

Thanks for reading!