Monday, April 15, 2013

Two Hundred

This is the 200th post on my blog. I had something half written that was filled with my usual snark and sarcasm, but then Boston happened.

I can't remember the last time a public tragedy affected me the way the events of this morning have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not immune to world events and tragedies, but this particular one really got to me. One minute I was happily discussing Dumbo Double Dare costumes and the next, social media went crazy with news regarding Boston.

Source

As soon as news began to spread about the bombings at the Boston Marathon, my phone began to blow up from my clients and friends asking me if I was running Boston and if I was okay. It's  humorous that they think I have the ability to qualify for Boston, but that's about the only humorous thing that happened after the bomb detonated.

I just can not believe it. I can't wrap my brain around such a horrific event. Maybe it's because I've crossed the finish line of a marathon and it was a life altering event all by itself. The video footage that I saw showed runners at the 26 mile mark as the bomb went off, several of which were so focused on the finish that they didn't even realize what had happened.

Source

Social media came alive with support for Boston and campaigns launched to run and keep running.

I'll leave you with my favorite tweet of the day:

That's the truth.
My heart goes out to everyone at the Boston Marathon, runners and supporters alike, and to the running community as a whole. This was a terrible and tragic event that could have occurred at any of the majors.

Keep running. We have to.






2 comments:

Thanks for reading!