Monday, December 28, 2015

Jingle Jungle 5K 2015

Of all the Disney races I have run, this is only my second Disney 5K. I'll be honest- I'm really not a fan of the runDisney 5Ks. They always seem disorganized and crowded. Plus, it's typically impossible to actually run them. But to be fair, I'm not a fan of the 5K race distance in general.

 

The reason I signed up was for this particular 5K is that a couple of years ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. She had been bugging me to go on another Disney vacation (the last one we did together was the Disneyland Half in 2012 and my mom, my sister and I did the 5K and I did the half) and so I told her when she was done with all of the treatments, we would go and I would walk the 5K with her. She is now in remission, so coming to WDW for a racecation was a planned celebratory trip.

 

I enjoyed spending time with my mom, so I'm glad we signed up. We waved to Mickey and Minnie on our way across the start. I suggested to my mom that we dress like Minnie and she was so excited to wear a costume. It was cute.

 

 

Animal Kingdom has a lot of construction going on, so many attractions are behind walls. AK is not really my favorite park, so I was excited to see the beginnings of the new Avatar land going up. I also got nostalgic with memories of the WDW marathon (my first marathon 2013) when Everest came into view.

 

It seems like every time I race at WDW, there's record breaking heat. This time was no different. It was so humid and toasty. It even looks hot in this picture.

 

I would be running the half marathon that night, so I was a little concerned about walking so much that morning. My legs and feet actually bother me more when I walk long distances than when I run and by the third mile, I was definitely ready to be done.

 

After the 5K was over, my mom and I made a bee line for the park to ride the Kilimanjaro Safari. Then we rode Dinosaur! and decided to fuel up.

And this guy is cute.

 

We headed to Rainforest Cafe for some breakfast and coffee. I've only run one other night time half (RnR Las Vegas) and that one started around 5pm, so I really wasn't sure how to fuel before a 10pm race. I figured my biggest meal should be breakfast and then I'd have small snacks after that.

 

So even though I don't love 5Ks, the Disney 5Ks are a really good way to include family members in the runDisney experience. My mom will never be a runner but she loves the hoopla of going to the expo and getting her number. She loves her little rubber medal and race pin. So that makes me happy to do it with her.

Am I the only one that loves (for the most part) runDisney but doesn't typically enjoy their 5Ks?

 

8 comments:

  1. So glad your mom is better! Wishing her perfect health moving forward.
    I've never done a Disney 5K. They're just too overpriced (not that the other races are a bargain).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only end up doing them if my mom is involved. Or if I've temporarily lost my mind. ;)

      Delete
  2. I was so excited to see you had your race recap up! When I first ran the Jingle Jungle 5K I didn't have very high hopes (ya know cus it didn't take place in Epcot). Turns out, I love it! I would love to do it again. I agree, the Disney 5K's are not ones to really be raced but they are great ways to do what we love with family members that would never run long distances!
    Congrats to your mom for finishing treatment! Sso glad she was able to do the race with you. You two look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My mom loves walking them, so I'll do them with her but I typically enjoy the longer Disney races much better!

      Delete
  3. I still have never done a runDisney 5K. I really should, but I just don't want to get up so early! I really should skip the 10Ks and just do the 5Ks. You and your mom look super cute!! So glad you got to do it with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually, I'm pretty much over the challenges. It's just too much combined with park hopping.

      Delete
  4. I've never done a Disney race at all. I would love to! They look so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to do one. They're a blast!

      Delete

Thanks for reading!