Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wine & Dine Training Begins!

I know that "official" Wine & Dine training began like a month ago, but "official" training also has the last run as 14 miles, and I just don't see that happening. And by "official", I mean for those that subscribe to the Jeff Galloway training plan.

 

I don't tend to follow plans very well because I'm lazy, but I actually started training on Sunday. I went with a few friends up to the mountains in Prescott, AZ, to get out of the heat and do some hiking, which in my mind, counts as training.

And since all training must include a selfie (at least that's what I've learned from Instagram), here is my pre-hike selfie:

This is before it started pouring...
The weather in Prescott is at least 20 degrees cooler that Phoenix, so our hike started out beautifully. We also don't have a whole lotta trees in Phoenix, so we were excited to have some shade.
This is before it started pouring.
I guess the dark clouds should have been a clue rain was coming.

We hiked about a mile and a half before it started to drizzle. Not to be deterred by a few measly rain drops, we continued for awhile so that our hike would be about 4 miles.

About 2 miles in, it started pouring. No joke. Torrential rain. I don't have any pictures of the rain because I didn't want to ruin my phone, but trust me, we were soaked.

 

We ended up jogging a good portion of the way back since it was raining, so I figure that also counts as training.

So training run #1 is done. Put me down for 4 miles.

Who else is going to Wine & Dine? I'm super excited since people seem to really love this race and I've never done it.

 

8 comments:

  1. Wine and Dine is a really fun race weekend and you will have a blast. As long as you run at least 10 miles in training you will be fine on race day. The only difficult part of the race are the dark places in Animal Kingdom. The pavement is not that even and I was worried I would trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! SOOOOOO excited for Wine & Dine, it is an absolute blast. You will LOVE it! Hiking kicks my butt, so I'd say that totally counts as training. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Prescott but want to run their 1/2 next month because it's supposed to be all woodsy like, hopefully like your pictures. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Prescott but want to run their 1/2 next month because it's supposed to be all woodsy like, hopefully like your pictures. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Prescott but want to run their 1/2 next month because it's supposed to be all woodsy like, hopefully like your pictures. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you need a selfie, how else would you prove that really happened????? Lol. I wonder why the plan would have you run 14 miles. Wine n Dine is an exciting race weekend. I can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, me, me!! I'm going to Wine & Dine!! I haven't taken a break from running and I'm close to burn out, probably because I just keep getting slower. And still putting on weight. Where's the magic button to get faster and get skinnier?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!