Race Recap coming soon....but here are a few things I learned running at Area 51.
1. If you are ever given the chance to run at Area 51, you should do it. It's different than any other race you'll ever do.
2. Never, ever stay at the Hard Rock Hotel if you have any hope of sleeping.
3. Eating mass quantities of Mexican food 4 hours before a race is a really bad idea.
4. At some point, you're going to think you're seeing a UFO.
5. You can see lots of shooting stars in the middle of the Nevada desert.
6. Your Garmin may spontaneously freeze up and stop working due to alien interference. (It could also be because you locked the touch bezel by accident, but I'm thinking aliens are responsible.)
7. If you start feeling horribly sick at mile 6, you should complain non-stop to your running partner, because they will be sure to enjoy it. I know Tara did.
8. Your iPhone will suddenly start taking horrible night time pictures. Again, I'm assuming alien interference here.
9. If your finish time is the slowest you've ever gotten, alien abduction is your only possible explanation.
10. At some point - probably during your 6 mile constant uphill climb - you'll actually be wishing for a UFO to beam you up.
11. The 51K ultra marathoners are not f***ing around. And they WILL pass you, even though they started 6 miles behind you.
12. This entire race experience is incredibly grueling.
13. If you are exhausted from being up all night and can't stay awake on the way home, remember that your bus driver has been up all night, too...
14. The black mailbox is actually white.
15. You will be able to see the finish line at least 2 miles out, which will some how keep moving farther and farther away as you run toward it...
|Fellow runner...or is it?|